Monday, July 30, 2012

The Countdown

It all started six months ago when 2012 began and all I could think about was summer. I've always travelled abroad during July or August but going into my junior year of high-school, I wanted to step outside the box and go to an exotic country without my family. After countless hours of research and deliberation, I fell in love with GLA's (Global Leadership Adventures) summer community service programs abroad. The India program ended up being the best fit and I signed my self up for it as soon as possible (at least after I convinced my parents).

Since then, I've been preparing for the three week journey half-way around the world, and that's been an adventure in itself! Living in California I own nothing besides shorts and tanks which don't work in India let alone during monsoon season, needless to say, I went on quite a few shopping sprees. Prep for this trip has consisted of countless target and REI runs hunting for sturdy hiking boots, thick fleeces, a durable rain jacket and smaller objects (but still important) such as biodegradable soap. There's really no way to explain how I felt crossing the last item- a whistle - off my packing list. I was finally (supplies wise) ready to take on India. It is quite difficult to know if you're truly prepared with Indian weather flipping on a dime from blistering 95 degree heat to monsoon downpour. Let's just say my suitcase had a wide variety of clothing.

Laying in bed on July 7th my head was filled with emotions: excited, nervous, and a bit scared for in a little over 24 hours I would be in one of the most exotic and exciting countries in the world. I didn't have a clue of what to expect. But, I fell asleep at ease knowing that I would be surprised no matter what when I step off my plane and into a new country, culture, and adventure.



No comments:

Post a Comment