Monday, July 30, 2012

Getting There

5:30 AM- Wake Up
7:07 AM- LAX to EWR (LA to Newark)
3:30 PM- 5 hour layover
8:30 PM- 14 hour flight to Delhi
8:01 PM- Arrival
*2 time zone changes

Seems simple enough right? That schedule is over 24 hours of being in the sky or trapped in an airport, California has got to be the farthest state in the continental US away from India. Regardless, it was better than I expected. My family travels internationally pretty often (like to Thailand this past spring) so I'm used to the long flights, but always with my two sisters to keep me entertained, this I was tackling alone. Even though I'm 16, you could say I'm a little (...or a lot) more book smart than street smart so I was pretty nervous navigating two new airports alone.

1st disaster of the day was getting cut by three guidos headed to the Milan flight that was taking off in 20 minutes while I was waiting to check my 48 lb bag (50 lbs is the limit so I was pretty nervous), it took so long I had to get in the security line and hope my Dad got it worked out. Then when I got to Newark I had to recheck my bag to Delhi but I wasn't complaining, it took up a good hour of my excruciatingly long layover. Yet with 4 hours left, I had no idea what to do with myself so I headed over to a random cafe and posted up- until I was kicked out after three hours. Waiting wasn't too bad though because all I could think about was how close I was to my dream trip that I'd been waiting for months to be on!

As I wrote this in my GLA journal I was being lulled out of my nyquil daze with a little caffine and making my final descent into New Delhi. I made it and couldn't wait to discover India


No comments:

Post a Comment